Did you know?
According to these laws….
Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
• You have the right to know what is in your file.
• Access to your file is limited.
• You may seek damages from violators.
Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACTA)
• You have the right to a free annual credit report.
Each of the three credit reporting agencies must, at a consumer’s request, provide a credit report for free once per year. The agencies established www.annualcreditreport.com for consumers to request the reports.
• You have the right to place a fraud alert on your credit file.
• Credit card numbers must be truncated so the full number is not visible on receipts.
Fair Credit Billing Act (FCBA)
• You can dispute billing errors associated with your credit card account.
A dispute must be sent via mail within 60 days of the date on the credit card statement that shows an error. The creditor has 30 days to acknowledge the letter and 90 days to research the dispute and make a determination.
• You must be billed in a timely manner.
Adapted from hudhousingcounselors.com